Liked
    3 times

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    Updated. Nice work, Jeff.
    Thanks!

Liked
    1406 times

Just for fun: Best lap in a NP01 I rented for 20 minutes, only 1 lap not obviously ruined by traffic/cautions: 1:32.6.

Don't overwrite my SM time though Brett, I'm more proud of that one, haha.
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.

Liked
    375 times

This should be a better lap time. Two years ago, I ran a 1:26.88 on street tires.

The next year, I came back in December with a set of Hoosiers ready to go if I could just get down to a mid-1:27 on the regular rubber. Scheduling and weather issues saw the winter shoot by without the right day coming up. I let the Hoosiers sit, unused.

Cut to a year later, in the winter of 2016, when the conditions are finally okay (on the day before Christmas eve -- thanks family!)... but all I can get down to is a low 1:28. Frustrating -- maybe it's time to rebuild my front shocks? I'm not sure, but something's not right.

But now the Hoosiers are two years old, so I face the choice of the things REALLY getting old, or I find out what kind of difference they'll make.

I put them on -- and immediately get two seconds quicker. If I'd had them two years ago, that two-second gain would have meant a high :24. As it is, all I got was a low :26.

It's an improvement, but I've still got to find out where my baseline second and a half went to.

1:26.141 (Jack Olsen; 72 Porsche 911; Hoosier R7s; 248 rwhp/2652 lbs w/driver; December 23, 2016, video)

https://youtu.be/AZs0-0Dl5Ck

I'm prouder of the 1:26.88 on Nittos. But this is what I've got right now.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 03-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Liked
    2186 times

Got it. Thanks, Jack.

Liked
    128 times

Nice lap!
    Jack Olsen likes this.

Liked
    2064 times

1:24.20 (Oli thordarson/Alvaka, 2002 C5 Corvette; Pirelli DH; 420whp/3003 lbs w/driver; 3/19/2017, Video)
    bawareca, CharleyH and nrgrcng like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    375 times

Awesome, Oli.

Liked
    2064 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Awesome, Oli.
    Thanks, Jack. It was almost awesome. I made a couple of mistakes... I was hoping for a 1:23. I did review you video before heading out for the weekend. The car is also pig heavy in TA3 trim and I have a 74 mm restrictor plate.

I think I learned something I want to try at a later race. I think Turn 9 might be faster for me a car width off of the apex, either that or I need more suspension tweaking. Bottoming in Nine at the apex and feeling the car unsettled after the crest is causing me to back out of the throttle a bit. During the race with the 150 lb fuel load the car felt easier to drive and faster a bit off of the apex.

Your thoughts?

Liked
    2186 times

Updated. Nice work, Oli.

Liked
    375 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I think I learned something I want to try at a later race. I think Turn 9 might be faster for me a car width off of the apex, either that or I need more suspension tweaking. Bottoming in Nine at the apex and feeling the car unsettled after the crest is causing me to back out of the throttle a bit. During the race with the 150 lb fuel load the car felt easier to drive and faster a bit off of the apex.

Your thoughts?
    I miss that apex all the time, but the rationale (aside from me being an inconsistent driver) is that I don't have enough horsepower to stand to lose much if I slowed down slightly more on the entrance in order to hit the apex full on the throttle. I'm already flat on the throttle there, no matter if I'm hitting the apex or not. I also miss the apex at the exit of two a lot of times -- but again, I'm flat on the gas so there isn't the usual argument for sacrificing more entry speed in order to get more power down sooner coming out.

I know it's all relative, but in my mind your car is a monster, power-wise. So if I were driving it, I'd think the big benefit would be getting on full throttle as soon as is practical with that much power at my disposal. To that end, I'd want to be hitting the 9 apex pretty consistently. But if you're bottoming out, it's a whole different issue. It might be that you're right, and that you might carry more speed by coming in hotter and missing the apex and coming out with as much throttle as is safe and avoiding the dip that's testing the limits of your suspension travel.

But that's all a long way of saying I don't really know. Our cars are pretty different. But I have to say that in looking at your data, you're one of the first guys I've seen who is carrying the same (or better) speeds than me through two and three and four. I've seen a lot of laps of cars that were quicker than me overall where the car was not carrying nearly as much speed as me through those sections. They just kill it on the straights and bury me that way. You're matching me in 1, quicker than me through most of two, though a little slower in the entry. You're maybe a tiny bit slower than me in three but a little faster through 4, which is where I'm usually faster than everybody. And maybe most importantly, you're KILLING me through 9 -- which means I'm maybe not the best guy to ask about trying new lines there. I'm hoping to be able to follow YOU through that corner, sometime.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 04-02-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    ucfbrett, bawareca and davedrums like this.

Liked
    2064 times

Jack, that is all great feedback. Your feedback is valued even if our cars are different. My usual talk to myself for Turn One, "Oli, don't overslow, don't overslow... DAMN! I overslowed!"

Turn Two I was a little disappointed with my drop in speed just after turn-in. I need to work on that a bit. I think I am a bit leery of losing front-end bite where the track drops away a bit there.

Turn Three entry I was struggling with all weekend. The usual far right brake zone the car felt unstable in braking. It would pull a bit to the right. I am not sure why and it made my turn in feel un-good. I found moving a bit left seemed to work a bit better. I also had trouble in general with my turn-in up the hill. I had a hard time keeping the car far left.

Turn 9 I have another couple of miles per hour I can squeeze out both on turn-in and apex. I am overslowing a bit on entry and on exit I think I can move half a car off of the apex and pick up two MPH, aside from a little more suspension tweaking.

A 1:23 is definitely in the works for me.

Thanks
    davedrums likes this.

Liked
    2186 times

It would pull a bit to the right.
    My guess is that it was because the right side of the track rises first. If you ever lock up a front wheel in T3, it'll be left front because the right has more grip.

Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Jack, that is all great feedback. Your feedback is valued even if our cars are different. My usual talk to myself for Turn One, "Oli, don't overslow, don't overslow... DAMN! I overslowed!"

Turn Two I was a little disappointed with my drop in speed just after turn-in. I need to work on that a bit. I think I am a bit leery of losing front-end bite where the track drops away a bit there.

Turn Three entry I was struggling with all weekend. The usual far right brake zone the car felt unstable in braking. It would pull a bit to the right. I am not sure why and it made my turn in feel un-good. I found moving a bit left seemed to work a bit better. I also had trouble in general with my turn-in up the hill. I had a hard time keeping the car far left.

Turn 9 I have another couple of miles per hour I can squeeze out both on turn-in and apex. I am overslowing a bit on entry and on exit I think I can move half a car off of the apex and pick up two MPH, aside from a little more suspension tweaking.

A 1:23 is definitely in the works for me.

Thanks
    Very cool seeing you and Jack discuss this, Oli! Good luck to you both on yet a 'faster' time!
    2007 Corvette ZO6; Lemans Blue, 28k miles, 495 RWHP, 470 Ft lb, SS solid valves on stock heads, ported/polished intake, Callaway Honker CAI, mild tune.. Pfadt JO Stg 1 suspension, camber kit, upgraded Lingenfelter oil sump, catch can,
    Hawk DTC 60 pads on stock rear rotors/calipers, Willwood Aero6 Racing Big brake kit up front, air cooling ducts, A7 Hoosiers when I can! Otherwise Toyo R888's on stock rims. Callaway short shifter, Sparko Evo II w/ 6 pt, Hans.

Liked
    9 times

I spaced on listing this, over a year ago (haven't been back to the big track since), but was a new PB for me, finally breaking 1:30 --

1:29.519 (Dave Weckl, 2007 ZO6, A7, 495 HP, 3200 lbs, April 4, 2016) https://youtu.be/pczhTateHO0
    Attached Files
    2007 Corvette ZO6; Lemans Blue, 28k miles, 495 RWHP, 470 Ft lb, SS solid valves on stock heads, ported/polished intake, Callaway Honker CAI, mild tune.. Pfadt JO Stg 1 suspension, camber kit, upgraded Lingenfelter oil sump, catch can,
    Hawk DTC 60 pads on stock rear rotors/calipers, Willwood Aero6 Racing Big brake kit up front, air cooling ducts, A7 Hoosiers when I can! Otherwise Toyo R888's on stock rims. Callaway short shifter, Sparko Evo II w/ 6 pt, Hans.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18