• 2 Post By ucfbrett
  • 3 Post By deng
  • 1 Post By MikeColangelo

Thread: Played in the dirt at T9

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

Default Played in the dirt at T9

I should've lifted lol. I'm okay and the car is okay. Only the front left tire debeaded. No parts broken or bent. Thank you Toyota for building a durable T9 car.

https://youtu.be/QPAQvmTqxOY
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    163 times

Glad you are alright.... there are other turn 9 videos out there that start just like this one and end with the car rolling.

Charley

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1932 times

You were a lot closer to rolling the car that you might realize.

Liked
    1433 times

Scary every time.
    BOWERSdaAZIAN and deng like this.

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

I remember looking to the left as the car was sliding into the dirt, then saw nothing but dirt and more dirt, and hoping I won't roll. Safe to say that after we re-inflated the tire, it was the end of the day for me!

I feel the need to step up my safety game after this experience.
    BOWERSdaAZIAN likes this.
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    1556 times

I don't comment on others driving because I'm not a great driver myself and video rarely shows the full story. But from a keeping the shiny side up perspective and I share that track with you too, it looks like you could have done much more to be safe and control your destiny. It looked to me like your hands were slow and wheel turned right, like you were going to try and stay on track. It looked to me that if you steered left and go straight off you can keep the car straight, get back on track with little time lost, prevent a potential roll, and look much more predictable to drivers around you. Drivers need to realize it is ok to drive in the dirt. .

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

I'm glad you're giving me your input. I'm a total newbie compared to everyone on here, so you're feedback is much appreciated. I still need a lot of seat time.

I was thinking to drive straight off, like how they always drill it into your head during the driver's meeting, but I didn't. I don't have much experience going off track, let alone at those speeds. I'm usually pretty slow, but got a little courageous. "When in a spin, both feet in" was pretty much all I was instinctively doing after the fact. I am glad noone was behind me. Also glad that my inexperience didn't leave me with a totalled car.
    craZee and BOWERSdaAZIAN like this.
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    1932 times

Definitely should've driven straight off like it is drilled every time, otherwise what's the point?
    If anything, T9 is one of those corners where driving straight off where you were is one of the least dramatic things since you can drive in the dirt straight into pit lane.

Quote Originally Posted by deng View Post
    I feel the need to step up my safety game after this experience.
    Let me know if you need help with that.

Liked
    242 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Definitely should've driven straight off like it is drilled every time, otherwise what's the point?
    If anything, T9 is one of those corners where driving straight off where you were is one of the least dramatic things since you can drive in the dirt straight into pit lane.

Problem is, sometimes a driver (especially inexperienced ones) is well into his/her turn when they realize that they're running out of track. At that point, it's hard to go straight off since the car is well into the turn or is drifting.

Way back in 2007, with about 5 or 6 tracks days under my belt, I did something very similar at T9. Like the OP, I didn't roll but ended up putting rocks under the beads of both left tires. Very scary indeed. Since then, I always take a safe line through T8 & T9 and leave a little margin for error when taking T9. Not the fastest way around T9 but I'll trade that vs rolling/wrecking a car.

Side rant: I really, really, really wish they would fix T9. Too many cars have been wrecked there and too many drivers have been hurt or killed. I'll never forget the NASA event at WSIR in May 2008. Tragic and it makes me angry just thinking about it.
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 10-22-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    bellwilliam and deng like this.

Liked
    670 times

Different mistake, another lucky guy in T9
    MikeColangelo and deng like this.

fe4
    Liked
    41 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Problem is, sometimes a driver (especially inexperienced ones) is well into his/her turn when they realize that they're running out of track. At that point, it's hard to go straight off since the car is well into the turn or is drifting.

Way back in 2007, with about 5 or 6 tracks days under my belt, I did something very similar at T9. Like the OP, I didn't roll but ended up putting rocks under the beads of both left tires. Very scary indeed. Since then, I always take a safe line through T8 & T9 and leave a little margin for error when taking T9. Not the fastest way around T9 but I'll trade that vs rolling/wrecking a car.

Side rant: I really, really, really wish they would fix T9. Too many cars have been wrecked there and too many drivers have been hurt or killed. I'll never forget the NASA event at WSIR in May 2008. Tragic and it makes me angry just thinking about it.
    If you screw up the structure of the corner and are at the limit of the car, you're going off no matter what though. You can still straighten out the car so it doesn't go into a spin like the OP.

This is a repost, but in this video I screwed up T9 in pretty much the same way as the OP but was willing to drive the car off the track to keep it straight. I think it helps to commit to the adjustment while you're still on pavement.

How would you fix T9? Pave the whole thing?

Liked
    1932 times

Quote Originally Posted by fe4 View Post
    I think it helps to commit to the adjustment while you're still on pavement.
    ^This.
    Even if you're 2 wheels in the dirt already, knowing when to give up is important.

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Since then, I always take a safe line through T8 & T9 and leave a little margin for error when taking T9. Not the fastest way around T9 but I'll trade that vs rolling/wrecking a car.
    I'm definitely going to be taking a safer line and speed from now. Needless to say, I have way more respect for this track.

Quote Originally Posted by fe4 View Post
    This is a repost, but in this video I screwed up T9 in pretty much the same way as the OP but was willing to drive the car off the track to keep it straight. I think it helps to commit to the adjustment while you're still
    This is the video that I should have studied lol.
    Last edited by deng; 10-23-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    10 times

Newb here too. I've had an off at T9 too. After, talking with people and seeing Videos. As soon as I knew i was going off. I lifted immediately and just let the car go off and focused on car control with light braking. Luckily it kept straight and didn't hit the burm. No damage was done and was able to finish my day and drive home
    deng likes this.

Liked
    2281 times

The above comments about what do in the event of an off are all solid, but I submit that your line in T9 needs work, too.

You initiated turn-in too early and pinched it pretty severely. A good guideline for getting through there through there is not to initiate turn-in toward the apex till after the T9 corner worker station. You're looking that way anyway so it's an easier landmark than the water tower off in the distance.

Also, don't get too close to the outside edge because there is less track camber out there. I try to stay 3 feet off the left side at least.

Radical Dreamer
    Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyunofifty View Post
    Newb here too. I've had an off at T9 too. After, talking with people and seeing Videos. As soon as I knew i was going off. I lifted immediately and just let the car go off and focused on car control with light braking. Luckily it kept straight and didn't hit the burm. No damage was done and was able to finish my day and drive home
    Glad you were able to finish your day!

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The above comments about what do in the event of an off are all solid, but I also submit that your line in T9 needs work, too.

You initiated turn-in too early and pinched it pretty severely. A good guideline for getting through there through there is not to initiate turn-in toward the apex till after the T9 corner worker station. You're looking that way anyway so it's an easier landmark than the water tower off in the distance.

Also, don't get too close to the outside edge because there is less track camber out there. I try to stay 3 feet off the left side at least.
    I also noticed I turned in earlier (than my previous laps). Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try when I'm out there again.

I just found the high five smiley.

You get a , you get a , everyone in this thread gets a
    Wanna-B-Spec Yaris

Liked
    242 times

It may be a matter of semantics but saying "go straight off" may mean different things to different people.

Fe4 showed us a good save but, to me, he didn't go "straight off". Instead, he simply stopped turning right as his car went off track and this allowed the car to take a roughly parallel path along the track which was starting to straighten out.

In bawareca's video, we see what I think is a more typical Turn 9 off and similar to the one I had years ago. I think the best course of action here is to recognize early on that you've screwed up the turn, bleed off some speed, and keep the car on the tarmac. If you go off here sideways like in the video, what can you do?
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread